Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why I Made This Blog

So today's dictionary.com word of the day is "supernumerary," which I know for a fact has been the word of the day during a time in my memory. And it's not that I've been subscribed to dictionary.com for too long--it's only been a year. Given the number of words in English, I'm pretty disenchanted with the dictionary.com people. They didn't even offer the creepy Opus Dei-related definition of people who aren't quite committed enough to take vows of celibacy but are just fine wearing spiky chains around their thighs in secret; instead it was just "Exceeding the stated, standard, or prescribed number." Dictionary.com, why have you forsaken me? There were months when you were there for me every day, throwing out gems like temerarious, lissom, and magniloquent that I could program Word to type in rotation into a document called "Thesis–really" while I tried to figure out if it was more efficient to take the extra time to fit four Mint Milanos in my mouth at once or if I should just do three, so as not to break my pace or anything. But now you've failed. And I thought the world should know, so I made this blog.

Now that it's fulfilled its purpose, I suppose I could just abandon it, leaving it forever to float in the wastelands of the Internet, always searching, never found, always longing, never fulfilled. Alternately, I could craft many ingenious entries of temerarious lissom magniloquent temerarious lissom magniloquent etc.

But I figure I'll just write in it, at least for a bit. I have many things to say.

1 comment:

DLG said...

how about "philatelist" (for which aliza still owes me a coffee), or my favorite hapax legomenon, which i crafted for my justice paper on german cannibals, "phallophagia": as in, his instinctual disgust at the thought of two men meeting over the internet for a moonlit tryst of wine and phallophagia.

also, joanna newsom? soooooo emo